The Educational Innovation Lab/EDI Lab is a founding member of the Centre of Excellence of the Ionian University with the thematic focus on "Digital Humanities". It is organically integrated in the Department of History and research-wise in the University Research Centre of the Ionian University, functioning as a dynamic research hub – with an international, national and local scope, while systematically cooperating with the History Educators International Research Network-HEIRNET. The Department of History is the only Historical Department in the Academic Charter of the Greek Higher Education, providing a solid general scientific training in a wide range of the Historical discipline, with special emphasis on the scientific training, methodological thinking and linguistic infrastructure of its graduates, focusing on initial teacher education providing competent teaching and pedagogical training in the Teaching of History.
The Educational Innovation Lab (E.E.K.) (Educational Innovation Lab/EDI Lab) operates with an organizational structure that includes:
- The Scientific Research Design Team, which includes faculty and doctoral researchers of the Department of History
- The Applied Research Activity Group, which includes, in addition to the members of the previous research group, scientific collaborators, doctoral candidates, postgraduate and undergraduate students.
The intended outcomes of the Educational Innovation Lab/EDI Lab include:
- To enhance the provided History and History Teaching curriculum, by evaluating the research results (through scientific research studies on the student population) and by presenting integrated proposals that aligned with international History Education trends and the most up-to-date applied teaching and research approaches, in order to formulate high educational and pedagogical quality teaching approaches for all students.
- supporting teaching and learning of History both in the Department of History and in the wider education, by supporting the creation and use of historical games implemented in digital environments (digital game BYRON for the Greek Revolution, creation of a historical narrative in the context of a museum through the construction of a game, etc.)
- the connection of the Educational Innovation Laboratory with the local school community, through the submission of proposals for participation in international educational programmes of innovative approaches to the teaching of History (Erasmus+).
- the methodical and documented tracing and mapping (through scientific studies) of the characteristics (inclinations, interests, choices, goals, etc.) of students and graduates of the Department of History and the Ionian University in general and the submission of proposals for its harmonization with the contemporary trends in History Education worldwide (education for global citizenship, sustainable development as part of critical reflective learning, development education practices in understanding international development and global issues, issues of history teacher education, etc. α.)
- the multifaceted and systematic monitoring and recording of data (through scientific studies) of the academic and professional development of the graduates of the Department of History of the Ionian University in the labour market.
- the methodological cultivation and experimental application of innovative teaching approaches of the History course through the use of historical documentaries and fiction films (for students and pupils) and evaluation of the applications through scientific research studies.